You may arrange a long weekend family trip to Disneyland for free with signup bonuses from three Chase rewards credit cards. Below you can find step-by-step instructions on how to pick the right cards, get their signup bonuses and redeem them for a memorable family trip.
Please note that one or two people need to contribute into this redemption recipe. Both of them should have a good to excellent credit score to qualify for the recommended cards.
Time: 1-9 months
Estimated price: $320 4-night hotel stay + $1,200 flight
Complexity level: 2
Cards: Marriott Rewards® Premier credit card, Chase Sapphire Reserve℠, Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card
Destination: Disneyland, Orlando
The Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, is the most visited world Disney destination. It includes four theme parks, two water parks, golf courses, camping resorts and much more. Great memories are guaranteed.
It’s always the right time to visit Disneyland. But do mind the crowdedness level. It depends on weather, vacation season and the Disney event schedule. To avoid compromising, find and use insider’s guide (e.g. the hotel staff may become especially helpful here).
How to get and redeem Chase rewards points
We recommend using signup bonuses from two Chase rewards cards to cover travel expenses and a 80,000-point signup bonus from Marriott to cover your hotel stay.
It may be easier to make it work if one person applies for the Chase cards and redeems the points for the flight, while the other applies for the Marriott card and redeems its bonus for the hotel stay. Alternatively, all the three cards may belong to the same person.
Earn and redeem points for a round-trip flight:
- Apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ credit card.
- Make sure you spend $4,000 with this card within three months of account opening. This is the minimum spending requirement for receiving a signup bonus.
- Repeat the previous steps for the second card – Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card.
- Now go to your Chase online banking account, and transfer points from Sapphire Preferred® to Sapphire Reserve℠. This is a small hack to increase the redemption rate of your Sapphire Preferred® points. Now with 100,000 points on your Sapphire Reserve℠ account, you have $1,500 if to redeem via the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
- Go to the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. Find and book a round-trip flight for all your family to Orlando. You have enough points to cover travel expenses for a non-stop round-trip flight for two adults and 2-4 kids (depending on your location).
Earn and redeem points for a 2-4 night hotel stay:
- Apply for the Marriott Rewards® Premier credit card.
- Spend $3,000 within three months of account opening to meet the minimum spending requirement and get an 80,000-point signup bonus.
- Go to the Marriott website to find and book a hotel stay in Orlando. We recommend you stay at the Courtyard Orlando Lake Buena Vista at Vista Centre. This is a category 4 Marriott property located within a mile from the Disney entertainment area. You have enough points to book two rooms for two nights or one room for four nights.
How to meet the minimum spending requirement
To avoid overspending, do some math and calculate how much of your monthly expenses you can charge on a credit card. If your spendings are not sufficient, give yourself more time and apply for the cards not simultaneously, but with a 1-3 month break.
Besides charging your regular monthly expenses on the credit card, consider the following:
- Apply for a credit card before a planned big-ticket purchase.
- Pay your rent or taxes with a credit card, but bear in mind that you will be charged with a fee for such transactions.
The bottom line
Apply for several Chase rewards credit cards with significant signup bonuses, charge your monthly expenses on these cards and arrange a long-weekend trip for your family to Disneyland for free.