Chase Sapphire rewards start with generous sign-up bonuses. Applying for only two cards gives you a free travel opportunity to Hawaii. Look how it is possible.
You may arrange a surfing vacation in Maui, Hawaii, for free with two Chase credit cards – Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ and Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card. Please note that to qualify for these cards, you should have a good to excellent credit score.
Time: 1-6 months
Estimated price: Round-Trip Flight $700 + $400 Surfboard + $250 Car rental
Complexity level: 1-2
Cards: Chase Sapphire Reserve℠, Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card
Destination and season
Maui attracts wind lovers. The island is famous for big waves and suits more to experienced surfers. You can also enjoy kitesurfing and windsurfing there.
The best surf spots include: Honolua Bay, Hookipa Beach Park and Peahi Jaws. All of them are ideal for big wave surfing. If your ability level is not sufficient for big wave surfing, remember that watching may sometimes be equally fascinating as surfing yourself.
You can surf in Hawaii all year round. But keep in mind that it may be very hot in the summer. And the big wave season starts in November and lasts till February.
How to get and redeem Chase Sapphire rewards
We offer a redemption recipe for a flight to Maui and back for a single traveler and for a car rental in Maui. We don’t include accommodation, since you may want to try different experiences. You may pay for these expenses in full with Chase Sapphire rewards. Here is how:
- Apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ credit card and get its 50,000-point sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 within three months of account opening.
- Apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card and get its 50,000-point sign-up bonus after spending $4,000 within three months of account opening. You may get this second card three months after the first one or at the same time. It depends on your monthly spendings. If you can easily spend $8,000 in the first three months, there is no need to wait. If not, take enough time and plan your expenses for each card to avoid overspending.
- Once you’ve got the signup bonuses, transfer your points from your Preferred account to your Reserve account. It will increase their redemption rate.
- Go to the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, and book your round-trip flight and car rental. For all that, you have $1,500. It’s more than enough for reaching Maui (Kahului, HI (OGG)) from any U.S. location.
If you want to bring your own surfboard with you to Maui
- It may be an expensive pleasure. Delta and United charge you with a fee – about $200 one way. However, you may pay this fee with your Chase Sapphire rewards during flight booking, so it will be for free for you.
- If you prefer saving bonuses for something else, look for flights operated by Southwest or Alaska. They apply standard baggage rules to surfboards.
- You may always rent a surfboard in Maui. Prices start from $10 per day.
The bottom line
Planning in advance and following these simple steps, you can always arrange a trip to Hawaii for free. Start your trip now, and apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ and the Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card here.