.With the Citi® ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students you may reach a good credit score and be generously rewarded for entertainment activities.
- 2,500 ThankYou points as an introductory bonus after $500 spent with this card within the first 3 months,
- 2 ThankYou points for each $1 spent on entertainment and dining out, 1 ThankYou point for each $1 spent on other purchases,
- ThankYou points redemption for travel, tickets, Amazon purchases and much more,
- $0 annual fee,
- 0% intro APR for 7 months. Variable standard 14.99% - 24.99% APR after 7 months based on your creditworthiness.
- Cash advance fee of $10 or 5% of each cash advance payment (whichever is greater),
- 3% foreign transaction fee,
- Balance transfer fee of $5 or 4% of each balance transfer fee (whichever is greater),
- Variable penalty APR up to 29.99%,
- $35 penalty fee on late or returned payments.
How to use the card
The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students is a subject to approval. Citi will request your credit reports from consumer reporting agencies. Based on your credit history and income (if you have any), your credit line can be limited to $500. Only consumers with no open account at Citi can obtain this card.
Once you’re approved for the card, you get a 0% intro APR valid for 7 months. After 7 months, your APR will be in the 14.99% - 24.99% range based on your creditworthiness. If you use this card for three months in a row and spend at least $500, additional 2,500 ThankYou will be transferred to your account.
The best way to redeem your ThankYou points is to spend them on airfare or gift cards: it will bring the value around 1 cent per ThankYou point. Redemption for regular shopping worth 0.8 cent per ThankYou point, cashback – 0.5 cent per point.
With the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students you also get an access to the Citi® Private Pass® service. It grants you an opportunity to buy tickets for wide range of events even if they are sold out. You also will get the Citi® Price Rewind® service which refunds price difference if an item you bought with this card appears on sale at a retailer website within two months after the purchase date.
While using this card, remember some important tips:
- Pay your bills on time. The Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students has a ruthless penalty APR. What is more important, your 0% intro APR might be terminated after a missed payment, while a penalty APR might be applied indefinitely. Situations may vary, but this card requires a certain credit discipline from its owner;
- Some entertainment purchases might be considered non-entertaiment ones if the code assigned to merchant doesn’t fall into the category of entertainment.
Persons who are at least 18 years old currently attending college with no bank account at Citi. To qualify for this card, you also need a credit score higher than average. Bank’s decision to approve your card application may be based on your credit score, credit history and current average income (if you have any).
How much it costs
This card has no annual fee and grants you 0% APR for 7 months. However, variable penalty APR up to 29.99% might be applied indefinitely if you miss a payment. Citi charges you with 3% fee on foreign transactions, and may apply penalty fee up to $35 on late or returned payments.
OverallThe Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students has one of the best rewards program among credit cards for students. In addition, it has an attractive signup bonus and a few special purchasing services.
If you are a moviegoer or like entertainment activities, the Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card for College Students will reward you for this. Start obtaining bonuses for entertainment!